Pennsylvania Laboratory for Experimental Evolutionary Psychology
The Penn Laboratory for Experimental Evolutionary Psychology (PLEEP) was established by Robert Kurzban, an Associate Professor in the Psychology Department at the University of Pennsylvania. The PLEEP lab conducts experimental research informed by evolutionary considerations. The physical lab consists of a number of networked computers separated by barriers, allowing researchers to ask questions about group-based behavior while maintaining anonymity and experimental control. The research at PLEEP laregely focuses on the nature of evolved cognitive adaptations for social life. Are you potentially interested in joining the PLEEP team? Click on the "Working at PLEEP" link to the left for information.
The PLEEP lab is one component of graduate study in Evolutionary Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
Location & Information
The newly renovated PLEEP laboratory is located in room C-36 of the Solomon Lab building, 3720 Walnut St.
- Map Location
- Email Dr. Kurzban: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Downloadable research papers are located here.
A few useful links
- The (peer-reviewed) entry in Scholarpedia for Evolutionary Psychology
- The Wikipedia entry on Evolutionary Psychology
- The Center for Evolutionary Psychology at UCSB
- Human Nature, the journal
- An Evolutionary Psychology FAQ
- Some useful links on CogWeb
Awards and Honors History
This section lists Awards and Honors won by PLEEP researchers
- April 2009 - PLEEP researchers Danny Fein and Kendall Hoechst admitted to Phi Beta Kappa
- April 2009 - PLEEP researcher Danny Fein awarded a Mellon Fellowship.
- April 2009 - PLEEP researcher Kendall Hoechst named Dean's Scholar.
- May 2008 - PLEEP researchers Alex Shaw and Skye Gilbert win the 2008 Sabini award.
- March, 2008 - PLEEP researcher Alex Shaw recognized as a Dean's Scholar
- Feb, 2008 - Robert Kurzban wins inaugural Distinguished Scientific Award for Early Career Contribution from HBES.
- Dec, 2007 - Kelly Asao awarded a Vagelos undergraduate research grant.
- Nov, 2007 - Danny Fein admitted to Benjamin Franklin Scholars.
- Aug, 2007 - DeScioli receives IFREE Predoctoral Fellowship.
- May, 2007 - Alex Shaw awarded a Summer Research Grant from Psi Chi, the National Honor Society in Psychology, one of ten awarded nationally each year.
- April, 2007 - Alex Shaw awarded College Alumni Society Research Grant from the University of Pennsylvania.
- April, 2007 - Kelly Asao, Craig Bergman, and Alex Shaw named Phi Beta Kappa.
- Mar, 2007 - Kelly Asao, Skye Gilbert, and Alex Shaw admitted to the Psychology Honors Program.
- Feb, 2007 - PLEEP researcher Kelly Asao recognized as a Dean's Scholar
- Feb, 2007 - A PLEEP paper wins Emerald Citation of Excellence
- Jan, 2007 - PLEEP researcher Craig Bergman wins a CURF Fellowship sponsored by the Vagelos Undergraduate Research Fund
- Dec, 2006 - PLEEP researcher Skye Gilbert admitted to Univeristy Scholars program
- May, 2006 - PLEEP researcher Diana Zarzuelo (now alumnus) wins the first annual John P. Sabini Undergraduate Award for the Study of Emotion, Character, and Responsibility.
- 2005 - Athena Aktipis and Peter DeScioli win Russell Ackoff awards.
- 2005 - 2006 - PLEEP researcher (now alumnus) Erin O'Brien wins CURF Nassau Award
- 2004 - 2005 - PLEEP researcher (now alumnus) Danielle Trief wins CURF Thouron Award